3.3.11

I've been a bad blogger...

I take pictures of most of the meals I make, but then I forget to post them on this blog. Oh well!

There's a flux birthday party this weekend, and I've decided to bring some kind of snack. Munchies are probably the biggest obstacle to my success on the Paleo/ Primal diet. I love eating my meals of meat and veggies, but I have to plan those ahead; take the meat out of the freezer the day before, stop at Safeway on the way home from work for "fresh" veggies, etc. And then, once in a while, I get hungry when I'm not ready for it! A piece of fruit with some nut butter on top works pretty well most of the time, but I also just want to munch on something sometimes!

I'm hoping to find a simple/ always have the ingredients on hand/ snacky/ tasty/ (and most of all) Paleo treat to make for the party that I will then know how to whip up for my midnight cravings.

So the search starts. Mark's Daily Apple is wonderful resource for recipes, so it's my first stop:

Mark's Apple "chips"
Sweet Chips 
Ingredients:

2 cups unsweetened apple juice (if possible, juice your own).

1 cinnamon stick

2 large apples
Method:
In a large pot, combine apple juice and cinnamon stick and bring to a low boil. Meanwhile, remove top and bottom of apple and slice crosswise to make 1/8 thick “chips.” With a slotted spatula, place apples into boiling juice and cook 4-5 minutes or until apples become near translucent. Use the spatula to remove apple slices from juice and place on a clean kitchen towel and pat dry. Arrange slices on a cake cooling rack placed on a cookie sheet (to catch drips!) and place racks on middle shelf in 250 degree oven. Bake 30-40 minutes until apple slices turn golden brown and are almost dry to the touch. Let cool and serve either as is, or with a light dusting of cinnamon.

Salty Chips 
Ingredients:
1 large, ripe eggplant
2 eggs
2 cups cheese
Method:

Cut ends from eggplant and shred in a food processor. Mix shredded eggplant with egg and cheese. Lump mixture onto a pre-greased cookie shape and smooth out to make 6 8″ circles. Bake at 450 degrees F in a pre-heated oven for 12 minutes. Loosen and flip the circles. Bake on other side for a further five minutes. Once cooked, remove from oven and cut rounds into triangles with a pizza cutter. Let cool on a rack for 6-8 hours. Once dried, sprinkle with popcorn seasoning, Old Bay, garlic salt or any other seasoning of your choice. Eat immediately or store for up to one week in an airtight Ziploc bag.


My friend Google helped me find another source (Primal Matriarch) for tasty looking crackers.


Primal Sesame Seed Crackers 
Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. sesame seeds
2 1/2 c. blanched almond flour (or 1/2 flour and 1/2 meal)
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp grapeseed (or olive) oil
2 eggs
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Method:
Preheat oven to 350. One one bowl combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, combine wet. Slowly add the wet to the dry until combined. Consistency will be thick. Divide dough in half (I actually froze the other half but you can bake them both if you want.) Form into ball and place between two pieces of parchment paper and then roll out until 1/16th of an inch. Take a pizza cutter and slice off the edges. I used this excess and just made round flat crackers on the side - no sense in wasting! Use the pizza cutter of a knife to cut the dough into squares but leave on sheet! This will just help them break off into nice little crackers once cooked. Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly golden. Cool for at least 30 minutes (if you can wait that long).

I will have to raid the Bulk Barn before Saturday night for my ingredients, but if I manage to make these three recipes, I will be a very happy and satiated Primal snacker!

No comments:

Post a Comment