8.2.12

Slow Cooker Boston Butt Pork Roast

I never know how to cook roast without drying them out. I'll try this next time.

Slow Cooker Boston Butt Pork Roast (from here)

I have adopted a minimalist approach to cooking big pieces of meat in the slow cooker; I am cooking the meat with spices and one cup of water. I like the flavor I am getting cooking the meat without a lot of vegetables or extra liquid. This approach makes the meat taste “meatier” to me. Try it, you’ll like it.

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 9 hours

Ingredient list:
4.5 pound Boston Butt pork roast
Ground cumin
Ground coriander
Red chili powder
Garlic powder
Salt

Directions: Prepare a spice rub with cumin, coriander, red chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Season roast generously on all sides and lay in the slow cooker. Pour in one cup of water. Place cover on slow cooker. Set temperature to slow cook (200 degrees on my unit) and time to 9 hours. That’s it! The house smells great after a few hours and continues to smell great until after you pack the leftovers away in the refrigerator.

Notes: About 3 hours before time was up on the pork roast, I cut 2 to 3 rutabagas into bite-size pieces, seasoned them with salt, garlic powder, and red chili powder, and tossed them into the slow cooker. There was already plenty of liquid in my slow cooker, but you could add a cup of water with the vegetables if needed. The rutabagas were well cooked by the time the pork roast was done and flavored deliciously.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious...Did you take a picture you could post of the finished product?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't try it yet! Found it online and put it here so I don't forget about it.
      I'll make it this weekend and keep you posted.

      Delete